Sun Ranch Lodge, an "eco-lodge" in the southwestern corner of Montana, on the grounds of the sustainable ranching operation known as Sun Ranch, 1403 US Highway 287 North Cameron, Montana 59720, opened in May 2008 on the grounds of the old Seven-Up Ranch (aka Rising Sun Ranch), a 26,000-acre sustainable ranch established in the late 19th century. The Lodge at Sun Ranch, a luxury hotel once known as the Papoose Creek Lodge, has consolidated its guest rooms inside its 10,000-square-foot main house, originally the private residence of Sun Ranch's founding family, the Langs.
Sun Ranch is an eco-ranch, having instituted these green technologies (from its website):
- Reducing packaging through bulk purchases;
- Recycling aluminum, glass , plastic, and paper at all levels of the operation;
- Using biodegradable packaging for to-go lunches; and purchases reusable products where possible.
- Using recycled paper products (toilet tissue, marketing materials, etc.) and organic, fair trade cotton linen and towels.
- Providing biodegradable products in pump dispensers (shampoo, soap, etc.) for guest use;
- Protecting wastewater with use of biodegradable products including detergents and cleaning products free of environmentally hazardous chemicals.
- Reusing "gray water" for watering plants.
- Directing wastewater into underground septic tanks then filtering into ground through drain fields to avoid wastewater entering rivers or streams.
- Preserving habitat through non-motor-based recreational activities and eradication of noxious weeds on lodge property.
- Preparing gourmet meals using a variety of local, natural, free range, and organic products. The dining room has been refurbished to seat 30 and serves three squares of great food crafted from these local organic products.
- Using reclaimed materials in new construction.
- Planting 10 trees in the Amazon through Trees for Travel for each guest visit to help offset carbon emissions.
The Lodge at Sun Ranch is part of the Sun Ranch Group, a "multi-faceted company" devoting time and energy in an effort to build a "consistent model for the practices of conservation and sustainability."
The Lodge at Sun Ranch offers vacation packages for activities or relaxation, with the most popular choices ranging from three to seven nights.
giving you the advantage...®