Begun in 1993, the Big Sky Ski Education Foundation (BSSEF) offers recreational and competitive ski programs for Big Sky, Bozeman and West Yellowstone children. Your children will be able to ski the uncrowded and friendly slopes of two of North America's finest ski resorts, Big Sky and Lone Mountain.
The BSSEF mission is to "provide the opportunity for kids to become great skiers while promoting good sportsmanship, healthy competitiveness, sound technical skills, and an appreciation for the great sport of skiing and mountain living."
BSSEF programs cater to every skill level for kids from 5 to 17 years old. Programs include:
1. Youth Ski League YSL - 5 to 11 year olds, Saturdays. Students learn fundamental skiing techniques, have fun on obstacle courses, participate in fun ski games, and learn beginning ski racing.
2. Nordic Program students in grades 3 to 8 Tuesdays and Thursdays after school at Lone Mountain Ranch. For kids looking to learn basic Nordic skills.
3. Buddy Werner Program - 12 year olds and under, Saturdays and Sundays. For kids interested in elevating their ski racing skills.
4. Freeride Program - 11 to 17 year olds. Kids learn to ski at a higher level. Includes developing leadership, steep terrain, deep snow, avalanche,
terrain park, and powder skills.
5. Development Team - racers 13 and over. Offers full-day trainings, Wednesdays and Fridays from 12pm to 4pm and on weekends.
This year's Christmas Camp is for everyone and is slated for December 27, 2008 through January 2, 2009.
BSSEF offers discounted lift tickets, go to the Big Sky Ski Education Foundation website for more information or call BSSEF's Jeremy Ueland, program director at 579-7005.
Don't forget that Bozeman's Bridger Ski Foundation Ski Swap is November 7th through 9th in Bozeman at the Gallatin County fairgrounds!